X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclone Death toll @ 22,000 w/ 41,000 missing

Extremely horrible

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080506/...yanmar_cyclone
    I go to the gym so I can look good naked.

omg so sad

Comment

yeah always sad...i hope somethin ilke this never hits So Cal..

Comment

it'd be an earthquake if it happened in socal. thousands would get sucked underground. the rest would get buried by the giant tidal waves created by the shift of the crust beneath the ocean floor. it'd be mayhem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
          it'd be an earthquake if it happened in socal. thousands would get sucked underground. the rest would get buried by the giant tidal waves created by the shift of the crust beneath the ocean floor. it'd be mayhem.
          thats what im sayin..."deep impact' was on the other night =P

Comment

well, the death toll is hugely exacerbated by non hurricane resistant buildings, poor infrastructure, and pretty much lack of emergency planning and response. furthermore, the military junta has no incentive to appeal to international aid (till today or so) as it undermines their image in front of their constituents.

if mother nature does hit socal, the death toll would nowhere close to this as we have strict building codes, we have good infrastructure (roads, power, water, etc...), and we have fema (while they failed in katrina because of a result of utter "disapperance" of infrastructure - aka flooding, shouldn't be an issue in california's earthquakes).

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
              time to invest in some Riverside "beach-front" properties? lawl.

Comment

Originally posted by coredump View Post
                if mother nature does hit socal, the death toll would nowhere close to this as we have strict building codes, we have good infrastructure (roads, power, water, etc...), and we have fema (while they failed in katrina because of a result of utter "disapperance" of infrastructure - aka flooding, shouldn't be an issue in california's earthquakes).
                Where is Dustin? He is a construction boy. He should be able to give more accuate statements. It's true that we have buildings and bridges that are designed to withstand earthquakes, but even they can only take some much. Most buildings are mearly retrofited with such technology only with the most recent of buildings are designed from the ground up with earthquakes in mind. I am not 100% sure, but even the most resistant of buildings can handle up to 7 or 8. Which is very large, but these so called scientific preditions of a "big one" is predicted areound 10+.
                I go to the gym so I can look good naked.

Comment

Originally posted by coredump View Post
                  well, the death toll is hugely exacerbated by non hurricane resistant buildings, poor infrastructure, and pretty much lack of emergency planning and response. furthermore, the military junta has no incentive to appeal to international aid (till today or so) as it undermines their image in front of their constituents.

I thought you were a software engineer not a civil engineer...I don't trust your evaluation. hahaha jk

Comment

I am here... yes building codes are VERY VERY strict to ensure the highest safety. New buildings are built to withstand the biggest earthquakes and are built different according to what type of disaster is the most prominent in the are...for example buildings in hurricane areas are but top heavy to keep to keep the roof from blowing off and buldings in cali are built bottom heavy to keep them from being knocked over from earthquakes. even old building have to be tested every certain amount of years to make sure they meet the requierements for building codes. We recently had to work on are partners building in San Diego cause it did not meet the building codes so we had to re bolt the building down and do a stress test to make sure the building could survive a earthquake.. i am not certain what size earthquake buildings can with stand but it for sure should be 8-9 not sure about 10+ but that also depends on where the buildings along the fault lines and where the the earhquake originated from and what type of waves the earthquakes puts out but i won't go into that cause its pretty boring and i am pretty rusty on my siesmotolgy information. i will put some pics of the project i am working on now for some examples

Comment

^now thats something i can rely on!

so dustin, what if a tidal wave comes across california...how screwed are we?...like lets say...Cypress, CA? haha

I think Aneheim Hills might be far enough inland to survive a medium sized tsunami wave?

Comment

pretty screwed cause there isn't much you can do about that unless you live on a hill...well i guess i am safe

Comment

Originally posted by Spdyevo View Post
                          pretty screwed cause there isn't much you can do about that unless you live on a hill...well i guess i am safe
                          exaaactly...

btw i think the number is close to 100,000 people dead now =( tragic...and so close to thailand too..

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            I thought you were a software engineer not a civil engineer...I don't trust your evaluation. hahaha jk
                            my dad is a civil engineer. picked up a few things along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              Where is Dustin? He is a construction boy. He should be able to give more accuate statements. It's true that we have buildings and bridges that are designed to withstand earthquakes, but even they can only take some much. Most buildings are mearly retrofited with such technology only with the most recent of buildings are designed from the ground up with earthquakes in mind. I am not 100% sure, but even the most resistant of buildings can handle up to 7 or 8. Which is very large, but these so called scientific preditions of a "big one" is predicted areound 10+.
                              that's true but it infrastructure and emergency response is also important. a shit load of people are dying not only because of the immediate effect of the hurricane but the lack of medical care, supplies, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X