Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Probie

Hi, everyone!

This is Phil from the January 07 meeting (the guy in the black slacks, dress shoes, and white long-sleeve button-down with black and gold hair.) and the one who brought Calpico bottles and Kitsunezushi to the potluck.

I just wanted to take the time to say thanks to the people who extended their hands to me and talked to me when i felt nervous for most of the meeting. It was just the first time i'd ever met any person, let alone a whole team, that was very courteous, friendly, and actually was like a family with one another. It was something I never expected, but absolutely respected.

It was an honor to meet the many people i did, and i do hope that by the next meeting and possibly after helping out at a few shows, i can meet the rest of you all and get to know everyone a lot better.

well, I know most people didn't understand much of what i was talking about during my intro speech because, well... i was speaking at 100mph and turning red and sweating bullets... so I'm gonna post below a few things from my proposal that you might not have heard or known (and i apologize for the really long post... it's a habit on forums i go to often.)

__________________________________________________ _________

I am 19 years of age, a 2nd generation Japanese American fluent in English and Japanese, a Staff Relations Dept. member for the Society of the Promotion of Japanese Animation (creators of the Anime Expo conventions), and currently majoring in Computer Engineering with a minor in Automotive Engineering.
    In mid 2005, I graduated from the Middle College High School, a program that takes 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students with poor grades but high test scores and places them in a community college with the goal of attaining an Associate of Arts degree at the same time they receive their High School Diploma. I am one of the graduating 2005 class with honors credit and an Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Arts. However, due to the contract made with the school, I could not get the Associate of Sciences degree I needed to transfer to become a Computer Engineering major in an accredited University. So at the moment, I am staying at the San Bernardino Valley Community College to finish up the courses necessary to enter as a transfer student to the Cal State University of San Bernardino. I am also taking courses in the automotive field at San Bernardino Valley College because of the love Ii have for cars, especially Japanese import vehicles. This semester I will be taking various courses in engine/fuel systems, exhaust and emissions, advanced collision repair, and preparation for the Automotive Service Excellence exams.

My extracurricular activities include volunteer teaching of piano lessons to families who can't afford a professional teacher who generally charges $100 a lesson. I have 10 years of piano playing experience and Advanced level certification from the Music Teachers' Association of California. I am also an Eagle Scout and former Scoutmaster for Redlands Troop #583. I am a fluent speaker of Japanese, but due to the fact no Japanese courses or Japanese Americans lived in the San Bernardino area except for my family, my calligraphy skills have been fading, however I am also taking Japanese language and Calligraphy courses at the Loma Linda Language Institute and have already received a certificate for the level 4 proficiency exam from the Japan Language Proficiency Test, taken at UCLA. I also worked for the Christmas 2006 season at a Japanese and American animation store called Cartoon Field in the Inland Center Mall of San Bernardino. I was let go because the store shut down as it was a seasonal establishment. I was able to acquire great people skills, have become a very quick learner, and am well known for keeping promises I have made.

I chose to apply to team Hybrid because of the things the team is known for: being very professional, working not only as a team but as fellow friends and advisors, and for having clean and balanced vehicles that everyone appreciates and respects, even the competition.
    I have tried joining a few teams in my area, but all they would do is party, get drunk, and get busted for street racing. That kind of experience ruined my views of the teams nearby, since a few times they have vandalized my car because at diner drive-thru meets I would always win some award for "best work in progress". Also, when it came down to me needing help or information, people just googled up websites and had me go to various shops that seemed to have a very unclean and suspicious working environment. Reading up on several articles from your members' cars featured in various magazines like D-Sport and Import Tuner, the members always thanked the team for helping them financially and with advice. I want to join a team that respects all members and will actually sit down and help others if that person is willing to listen as well. I want to succeed in making my car an expression of myself and all the hardships I've went through. But in order to be successful, I want to learn new things and have mentors that can guide me into making the right decisions. As a final note on this subject, although I want to join you to benefit both of us on a professional level, I also want to be able to hang out with fellow enthusiasts in a clean and safe environment and just be able to have fun with other people who have a similar love and respect for not only their rides, but other enthusiasts as well.

I believe you should choose me over the other applicants because unlike a lot of people who use their modified cars solely to attract women for that "pimp status" image, I want to exhibit my car as a work of art, one that I have spent years working on to show what a person can do even if they have limited finances or heavy setbacks. I want to be the kind of guy who has the car no one would've thought to modify, but did it solely for the sentimental love of his car and the family who supported him along the way. I have very good speaking skills, a great amount of love and respect for the industry, and always have an open mind. In my eyes, a person with a early 90's car with unpainted bodykit and large exhaust tip isn't a "ricer" or "poser", but is merely an enthusiast working on his car a little bit at a time. I am always respectful, as said before I am also a quick learner, am always willing to help others or learn something new, and although I may not know much in terms of hardcore tuning and working dyno's and standalone ecu's, I am studying to become a Computer Engineer with skills in the Automotive engineering and repairing field. Sure there are tons of guys out there who are far more knowledgeable than I am in terms of not only cars but in various professional fields. But I assure you that if you give me this chance, you will not be disappointed. In the last 10 years I have never broken a promise thanks to my family's teachings. If I am given this opportunity to join you, you shall see that I will become just as competent as any person on your team with a Doctorate degree or ASE master tech certification.

Now for my car: The car I am using as my current project is a 1991 Mazda 323 base model Hatchback. This was the first car my father entrusted me with before passing away, and I don't ever intend to sell it unless I am in an emergency situation. The modifications I have installed myself include a Mazstyle "Chaos" bodykit from Australia, a 1999 Dodge Viper GTS Blue Pearl paint job with Large MICA flake, a Magnaflow high-flow "bullet" catalytic converter, custom 2 and 1/4 inch piping, PIAA Xtreme-White HID lights, an HKS Carbon Ti exhaust, and 16" Eagle Alloys chrome 5-spoke rims.

My future modifications are (though in no particular order): Two black Sparco Torino II racing seats, custom headlights with BMW HID halo conversion, redone full black cloth and suede reupholstery, AP stage 2 clutch, Weapon-R "Secret Weapon" cold air intake, 4-point rollcage, Sound system setup for Sound Quality instead of SPL, custom air strut suspension, Volk CE28N rims with low-profile tires, Brembo brake conversion, Corksport front strut tower bar, and for the engine, one of two options I need help deciding:
    1.) Engine swap for a Mazda BP-D (or BP-T) 1.8L turbo engine from the 88-94 Mazda Familia (323) rally-spec GTR series. (Which can be bought from www.corksport.com)
    2.) Port, polish, bore, and stroke of existing 1.6L engine as an N/A with engine and transmission completely redone.

__________________________________________________ ___________

SOME BASIC PICTURES OF MY CAR FOR RIGHT NOW...

Working...
X