Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Hybrid - www.Canibeat.com.com - STi

Hybridz:

Congratulations to Las Vegas Chapter's Lance's Subaru STi for being featured and written about in www.Canibeat.com. For the exact link of the article, please visit http://www.canibeat.com/2011/03/breakin-down-borders/

Breakin’ Down Borders

Photography by Jon Sylvester & Words by Dave Tormey for Canibeat.com

Some of you might remember back in May of last year our friend and photographer Jon Sylvester took a vacation to Las Vegas. While in town he met up with the guys from bB Squad and gave us a taste of the Sin City night life, and he met up with Leroy to shoot his IS300 right outside of Las Vegas Motor Speedway! What we didn’t tell you is that he also took a trip out to Red Rock Canyon…

You might be wondering why we waited so long to post these photos if they were taken last May? Well instead of praising this car that I have never even seen in person before with big words and corny catch phrases, and a mile long mod list that all of you will inevitably breeze right over, I thought I would share the unique story of how this shoot came to be. The story goes like this…

Jon, a native of Alberta, Canada, contacted me and let me know that he was going to be in Vegas for a week in May for his sister’s wedding. He was wondering if I knew of any cars he could shoot while he was in town, and at first I honestly drew a blank. I’m from New Jersey, and although I’ve done my fair share of traveling I’ve never even been to Vegas.

It wasn’t until probably a week or two after Jon had contacted me, and I had nearly given up on finding a car for him to shoot, when one night I was hanging out with my girlfriend Heather and she mentioned that her old Volkswagen friend Lance from Las Vegas was looking for someone to shoot his STi!

And that’s only a fraction of the equation… My girlfriend knew Lance before he ever bought his STi, from VWVortex. At the time Lance owned a Jetta and my girlfriend was just getting into modifying her GTI. They went back and forth on the forums, and even after Lance sold his Jetta for the STi they managed to stay in touch.

So although we all live on opposite ends of the continent, and none of us have ever met in person, we were able to get Jon in contact with Lance while he happened to be visiting Vegas on vacation. I don’t know about you, but at the time it seemed like a VERY small world!

The only catch was, he needed someone to shoot his car for a magazine feature, not Canibeat. Yeah, I was a little bummed out, but at the same time I thought it would be a good opportunity for Jon and I knew he would deliver! Now if you don’t recognize Lance’s car, chances are you might remember it with one of the many sets of wheels he has owned over the years.

Coming from the Volkswagen scene, where aggressive wheel fitment was much more widely accepted. Lance couldn’t resist upsetting the purist Subaru owners with what today may be run of the mill wheel specs for a Subaru but were unheard of years ago. Having the less popular 5×100 bolt pattern Subaru owners were and still are somewhat limited in their wheel choices. At first Lance had a few different sets of concave Rota’s, he even had one set of 18×10 Grids which was 1 of only 5 made, and then prior to the Gram Lights you see in these pictures he had a nice big lipped set of Gold Work VS-XX’s.

So you are probably wondering, what magazine were these pictures featured in? Well for whatever reason they weren’t featured in any magazines, but if you ask me their loss is our gain and when Jon told me things fell through with the magazines as always I was more then happy to share his work here on Canibeat! So just remember no matter how many miles or borders lie between you and the next person hiding behind a username online, we all share a love for the same things and you never know what’s possible!
    "May our legendary tradition continue making history..."

wow this is one nice sti

Comment

yup Lance's STi is one of the sickest around !

Comment

Amen 2 that!! SICK ASS STI!! Congrats on the article....Pics look bad ass...like the scenic view!

Comment

Firm Believer in a good looking car can be made into an awesome looking car. the STi's have a great platform to build from. badass looking car.

Comment

Working...
          X