Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bringing back the 3000GT to Team Hybrid! (New SoCal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing back the 3000GT to Team Hybrid! (New SoCal)

Team Hybrid,

Hello, my name is Armando Rodriguez. I am a resident in Fullerton CA, although I was raised in West Covina/ El Monte/ Long Beach for most of my life. I am 29 years old and currently working as the Parts/I.T. manager for Deshler’s Quality Collision Repairs in Orange CA. I started attending DeVry University in 2009 and graduated in February 2012 with my Associates in Computer Science. Since I was in high school I was always tinkering with things so computers and cars where my thing. I figured since I love computers so much why not make a carrier of it and keep my cars as a hobby. I got engaged in 2012 as well and am looking forward to my wedding in February of 2014.

I have been an enthusiast for many years; I was 14/15 years old when I first started modifying cars. My best friend bought a 96 Honda Civic Hatchback and I basically spent my free time working on his car. He was the Driver/Owner and I was his “tech”. We started attending meets and racing in Ontario CA in 98/99. By 2002 I had my first car, a 1983 Chevy Camaro Z28. It was not pretty but after a few months of work I too was out at meets in my car and racing. If I wasn’t racing at Irwindale Speedway I was either at a meet or modifying my car. This continued for about 6 years with a few different cars until my Honda Accord got run over by a trash truck in 2007. My 94 Honda Accord was my project car for about 2 years. I went for a nice clean JDM look with it and had the engine fully built and tuned by AK1 Motorsports. I never dyno’d the car but Estimate about 260hp on the F22B. I had Tien coilovers, and was running an LSD to help my Dunlops keep balanced traction. The interior was all OEM but I did do a small simple audio system for enhanced sound but nothing insanely loud. M1 Autobody in El Monte cleaned up the body on my car and did a full paint job from top to bottom. Shortly after that is when my car was run over while I was in Vegas by a city Trash Truck. I bought a New Chevy Silverado pick-up truck and left the scene in 2007. It didn’t take me long to get the urge/itch. In 2010 I bought my current car a 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT.

I chose Team Hybrid for a few reasons, one major thing after reading your team history is your Team has been around for 18 years! That is a great thing because when I first started going to meets, it felt like every other weekend one Team broke up and two new ones started. People had resentment and it was not always fun to be around people wanting to start problems. Although I have never been to a Team Hybrid meet based on what I have read Team Hybrid has stability and has a family orientation which keeps people close making gatherings more frequent and enjoyable. Team Hybrid doesn’t only focus on the enthusiasts that have completed projects but also those that are a diamond in the rough. (Like mine) I have lots of dreams and goals as my major goal being to save for my wedding in February of next year I also want to keep moving forward with my project car so I’m hoping I can get some guidance from Team Hybrid as I am now just getting back into the car scene. I was also recommended to join your team by one of your current members Mike G.

Team Hybrid should choose me as your newest member for a couple of reasons; one is my passion for gatherings is HUGE! I’m currently active in a forum socal3s.com and since I have joined the forum in 2011 I have hosted over 20 gatherings ranging from BBQ’s and pool parties at my home to cruises through the canyons with over 15 cars at each gathering. I’m always trying to share my knowledge and lend a helping hand to members in need. I have driven over an hour to meet members to help them with projects. Not only have I hosted lots of gatherings but I am also one of the “go to guys” in the forum. I’m currently building one of the members FWD TT conversions right now and have a dead line of July 13 so he can make it to MOD (Mitsubishi Owners Day). I’ll be willing to help out members of Team Hybrid with anything I can. I have whole sale connections with car audio and do most of the installations myself as well so I could assist members with those types of projects as well. Also because of my parts position at work I get a HUGE discount on all dealer parts and some aftermarket parts as well. One of the reasons I took the opportunity to work at Deshler’s was the chance to get back into my passion of helping people complete projects and since I have been here I have helped countless members get parts they need and services from custom interiors to getting parts powder coated through my wholesale accounts. I believe that my ability to help members and being honest has helped brought many members closer together as well as inspired many members to not only start new projects but to complete them as well. I look forward to having the opportunity to be a part of the Team Hybrid family.

My current modifications consists of lots of blood and tears along with many long nights/mornings starting with the biggest change I made was going from Naturally Aspirated to Twin Turbo on a 10.5-1 compression motor. That lasted me a few months then I blew that one up and went with what I have now.
    3.0L DOHC V6 Twin Turbo
    Forged Crank/rods 8.5/1
    Turbo’s are TD04 9b’s (8psi)
    Precat eliminated (Fed Spec)
    Stillen Down Pipe
    Custom 3’ back exhaust
    4’ Trust muffler
    GReddy Type S BOV
    Walbro 255 Fuel Pump (Hot wired)
    Cruise Control delete (for direct throttle control)
    JIC Magic Coilovers
    Addco swaybar
    3SX lower control arms
    TT Big Brake conversion /DOT4 fluid change
    Cross slotted and dimpled rotors/Hawk HPS brake pads
    Stage 3 6 puck clutch
    Fidenza Aluminum Flywheel
    Team Dynamic Racing wheels 18x8.5 with 245/40’s for now
    Audio system is simple
    Kenwood KDC Exelon 996
    Orion Cobalt 6000.2/6000.4
    Infinity Kappa 6.5’s up front and 6x9’s rear
    Kicker CVT12 in a shallow box.
    Digital Volt gauge (battery mounted terminal)
    HID headlights 8000K and LED 6000K entry lighting added.
    Full LED 6000K interior lighting.
    Red LED dash and gauges
    Converted interior from tan to black for a cleaner look.
    Evo Prosport Boost gauge

I performed all the work done on my car except the welding of the custom 3’ exhaust.

Future Modifications

New wheels 18x9.5/18x10
    285’s or possibly 295’s
    AEM True Boost controller
    AEM E-Manage Blue
    AEM FPR
    AEM Gauges Boost/oil Pr/Fuel Pr/ AFR wideband
    TD0415g’s (18psi)
    Sparco Racing bucket seats/ 5 point harness
    Intercooling Hardpipe kit
    FMIC
    Upgrade Oil cooler
    Big Bore Lash adjusters (already have just need to install)
    StopTeck BBK
    NRG race steering wheel and quick release
    Clutch Master Stage 4/ twin plate clutch
    LSD and or a 6 Speed conversion
    CF hood
    Roll Cage for track events (I plan on this being a track car at some point after I get the supporting mods)
    Currently have the car in pieces as I’m getting it painted and having the color changed as well. I haven’t officially picked a color but the one I’m highly considering is actually off the Nissan Juke. It’s a Black/Blue looking color. Since my car doesn’t have sharp body lines I feel this color will help define the curves better as it changes its appearance based on the angle.
    Engine bay is getting some powder coating love soon. Valve covers, lower and upper plenum, TB, and the intercooler pipes will also be Powder coated a “Wrinkle Red” for an OEM look. I am hoping to change up the common “polished/shiny” look for a simple clean look. Black and red are what I’m shooting for in the engine bay so I’ll need a Red Top Optima soon.

Well I hope I have provided you with enough info about myself and my car to push my application forward! I look forward to meeting with Team Hybrid in the near future.

Disclosure:
    This car has never been in Team Hybrid, I was informed that the original founders started Team Hybrid with a 3000GT! =)

Follow my build thread on socal3s.com
    http://www.socal3s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26259
    Get me on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/arj121
    Last edited by Armando; 05-28-2013, 03:02 PM.

Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update! Car has officially been painted and is about 50% complete on reassembly.

Next is pulling the interior apart. For a make over...

Comment

Continue success with it. Can't wait to see you finish it and debut.
      "May our legendary tradition continue making history..."

Comment

Keep building Armando, and as always consult with your team and directors on your build process. Sometimes several minds and ideas works best.

Comment

Pics ��

Comment

Working...
          X