Cyclone Death toll @ 22,000 w/ 41,000 missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spdyevo View Post
    I am here... yes building codes are VERY VERY strict to ensure the highest safety. New buildings are built to withstand the biggest earthquakes and are built different according to what type of disaster is the most prominent in the are...for example buildings in hurricane areas are but top heavy to keep to keep the roof from blowing off and buldings in cali are built bottom heavy to keep them from being knocked over from earthquakes. even old building have to be tested every certain amount of years to make sure they meet the requierements for building codes. We recently had to work on are partners building in San Diego cause it did not meet the building codes so we had to re bolt the building down and do a stress test to make sure the building could survive a earthquake.. i am not certain what size earthquake buildings can with stand but it for sure should be 8-9 not sure about 10+ but that also depends on where the buildings along the fault lines and where the the earhquake originated from and what type of waves the earthquakes puts out but i won't go into that cause its pretty boring and i am pretty rusty on my siesmotolgy information. i will put some pics of the project i am working on now for some examples
    the richter scale isn't linear. a 9 richter scale earthquake isn't just 12% bigger than a 8. according to a quick wikipedia lookup, a 9.2 is approximately 33 times larger than a 8.

and i think at a 10 richter scale earthquake, i think you got more important shit to worry about than the house collapsing on you, lol.

but yes, you're right. your info/exp more updated/accurate than mine since i learned it 2nd hand from my dad who hasnt touched civil engineering since he left hong kong, heh.

Comment

Originally posted by coredump View Post
      the richter scale isn't linear. a 9 richter scale earthquake isn't just 12% bigger than a 8. according to a quick wikipedia lookup, a 9.2 is approximately 33 times larger than a 8.

and i think at a 10 richter scale earthquake, i think you got more important shit to worry about than the house collapsing on you, lol.

but yes, you're right. your info/exp more updated/accurate than mine since i learned it 2nd hand from my dad who hasnt touched civil engineering since he left hong kong, heh.
      i know that about the richter scale

and people would be suprised how much concrete and steel goes under a building

Comment

or if you're in taiwan where building codes aren't really enforced, how many milk jugs and random trash thrown into concrete. muahha.

Comment

damn-very sad :-(

Comment

Working...
          X