No announcement yet.

Who is making the Team Hybrid Website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is making the Team Hybrid Website?

This is scott~Anyways i have to make a website for my
    company and was wondering if i can get some help from
    the person who is making the site~I know that javascript,
    html,dreamweaver, flash is pain in the ass. Is there a good software
    to create and maintain the website. Thanks

Scott =D

The last I worked with CMS (6 months ago, which can be a long time in computers), Joomla and Drupal were the most popular. Joomla is a bit more user friendly than Drupal. However, Drupal is substantially more powerful than Joomla. An example of a Drupal powered site is The Onion.

Modern/cutting edge web development is less about, "javascript, html,dreamweaver, flash," and more about dynamic server processing pages (PHP, ASP, JSP, etc...) and their interactions with a database server (mostly SQL). JS/HTML/Flash can only offer you static content. Most modern websites will demand some form of dynamic content and must be retrieved through a database.

Dynamic vs. Static Web Sites

Roughly speaking, there are two kinds of Web sites: those with static content and those with dynamically generated content. These are also called static Web sites and dynamic Web sites, or Web sites with static pages versus Web sites with dynamic pages.

What is Web content? Content is everything that can appear on a Web page: text, graphics, form fields, hyperlinks to other pages, navigation buttons, menus, etc.

Static Web Sites

For a static-content Web site, all content appearing on Web pages is placed manually by professional Web developers. This is also called "design-time page construction," because the pages are fully built while the site is being developed. Static-content Web site is developed and then maintained by experienced professionals. Such Web site usually costs less when initially developed, but then all future changes still have to be done by Web professionals. Therefore a static Web site can be more expensive to maintain, especially when you want to make frequent changes to your site.

Dynamic Web Sites

On the other hand, pages in a dynamic-content Web site are constructed "on the fly" when a page is requested from a Web browser. Dynamic-content Web site, while still developed by professionals, can be maintained directly by you, our customer. Such Web site initially costs more to develop, but then you don't have to pay Web professionals every time you need to change something on your site. If you plan to make frequent changes to your site, you most likely will be better off with a dynamic Web site.
    Before you dive into this, I suggest you understand the advantages of dynamic web sites, get a primer in dynamic web sites (i.e. PHP is the most popular "free" language), and a primer in database (i.e. some basic SQL).

When developing a web site, it's critical you understand the advantages of dynamic web sites to build a solid foundation for your website. Case in point, for years, Team Hybrid's website was a collage of 2903840923 .html files. In order to make a global change, you had change on the 20938490 .html files.

By moving to a dynamic website (aka PHP/SQL based), a global change can be made on one file (or database entry) and be reflected on the entire web site. There are more advantages of dynamic websites than just a few global changes.

Taking this one step further, a CMS is a user friendly (to an IT professional, not to the typical user) backend to create a dynamic website. A lot of corporate intranets and websites are in-house developed CMS. However, my first post has a number of links to readily available CMSs. You should demo a few out before you settle with. When I designed teamhybrid.com, I hopped from Mambo to Drupal to Joomla before I settled on Joomla.

If you good at developing CMSes, you should look into it as a career move. I do IT consulting on the side and I charge $80/hour on non-developmental work (i.e. anything related to a computers/networks but not related to programming). On developmental work (i.e. anything related to programming), I bill $100+/hour. The web/software development field is freagging highly lucrative. However, any development is a lot more strenuous than making a few clicks on a server or entering a few *nix commands. But it does mean you can bill a shit load (or demand a higher salary) from development.
    Last edited by coredump; 04-06-2009, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X