No announcement yet.

The "I'll pOwN You Thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ehh, dyno queens. gearing is just important as making power.

Comment

Originally posted by coredump View Post
      not when ur final drive stops u short of 130 mph haha

Comment

that's why my stock is350 would own him either from a dig or roll, 6spd auto does the magic with one pedal down all the way lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by Em View Post
          not when ur final drive stops u short of 130 mph haha
          lawl. if i wanted to go 130, i'd just get a german car and call it the day.

i don't even have enough torque to go past 130

Comment

would be kinda interesting as proof of concept to build a tranny just for doing 0-60, with a final drive and combined gear ratio topping out like at 65-70 mph. lawl.

Comment

lawl. if i wanted to go 130, i'd just get a german car and call it the day.

i don't even have enough torque to go past 130
              err

Comment

nothing like smoking evo's on the freeway with 200 whp and a 5.1 final drive

http://bulletproofautomotive.com/cat...il.php?ID=4480

Comment

ehhh, he said he got IT (meaning motor) tuned. So we are talking about a TUNE, not a road race.

Understanding is just as important as reading.
                  I go to the gym so I can look good naked.

Comment

no need for dyno chart,k pro does it all,who wants some,i need LSD tho

Comment

Originally posted by Hustler_Alex View Post
                      no need for dyno chart,k pro does it all,who wants some,i need LSD tho
                      weird. they tune your car and can't provid a dyno. So U have no clue what your motor is pulling right now? How do U know it's a good tune? How do U know you are getting good power and utilizing the turbo's the best you can? ButtDyno?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        weird. they tune your car and can't provid a dyno. So U have no clue what your motor is pulling right now? How do U know it's a good tune? How do U know you are getting good power and utilizing the turbo's the best you can? ButtDyno?
                        You are opening a can of worms there, my friend.... ie what's better a street tune or a dyno tune.

The best thing to consider with regards to an optimal tune is that the best dyno tune is not going to work on the street and the best street tune will not be as impressive on a dyno.

Both are simply tools in a much larger picture of what becomes the "total tune."

Comment

So how does he know what he got out of it? I mean if I know that a kit has a max potential of say 500WHP and I have something like 350WHP after a tune, I can say that it is conservative and a good street tune. It will be reliable for many miles since there are no internal upgrades. I also have that piece of mind that I can floor it and abuse it with no worries.

Comment

I tuned my car on the dyno at 302 on 91 pump gas with 10psi

2.5 catback and 750cc injectors,i street tuned my car yesterday,i was getting some engine knock as i was only tuned for dyno not for street,but im well under 290.With k pro you can do pretty much anything you can on a dyno

Comment

also runing a Hondata 4 Bar Map Sensor

since i cant run more than 10psi in a stock map sensor,

i can boost up anywhere up to 15-17psi without a problem

Comment

So how does he know what he got out of it?
                                A full log from the ECU and supporting log equipement tells you that.

No knock, uninterupted timing advance, and a steady fuel curve. If you have all that you have a good tune, regardless of how much HP you get. If you want to know how much power you made on that tune, run it on the dyno.

Now if you want to make more power, it's time for a hail mary/dyno tune. Crank up the boost, run your AFR to 12.5 and pray it all holds together. (just don't roll it like that on the street)

No again, you can acheive a solid tune FROM a dyno. But imo, it's better to shop for a tux in a tuxedo shop, then at the swap meet. And by this, I mean it's better to tune your street car ON THE STREET where it'll spend the majority of it's life, rather then tuning it on a dyno where you get a glimpse of "what might be" in a controlled environment and you're left to guess/estimate what variables you may encounter in the real world (outside of the dyno).

I mean if I know that a kit has a max potential of say 500WHP and I have something like 350WHP after a tune, I can say that it is conservative and a good street tune. It will be reliable for many miles since there are no internal upgrades. I also have that piece of mind that I can floor it and abuse it with no worries.
                                I respecfully disagree. I agree with the idea from a high level, but there are just too many variables to consider. It's like Having a 700WHP turbo kit on a honda fit. You cannot say that just because you aren't hitting that 700 figure that you are concervative with room to spare....

That was an extreme example, so if you're saying that all supporting components are in place that will sustain a 500WHP figure on a car (say for example yours) then yes, tuning it to 400 might be conservative. Then again, who's to say how well it's running at 400?? *Answer: The tune will tell you (or rather the LOGS from the tune).

So while we're debating similar things, we need to put them all together....

You will start off at point A (your base tune).
                                You then log how your engine is doing (rich/lean, retarded/advanced)
                                You make changes where needed, one variable at a time (fuel/timing/boost)
                                You relog

When you cannot raise the boost without knock or it simply runs out, you're maxed.
                                When you cannot raist your timing without knock or detonation, your maxed.
                                When you cannot lean out your car without endangering internals, same.

And when you've found the sweet spot by balancing all of the above, you're golden.

*No you can play around with all the variables in order to get what you want (max power/max gas milage/max reliability). The HP numbers will vary accordingly.

**And my point about the dyno vrs the street is simply that when you tune for peak power on a dyno, you may not get the same results on the street, because the street has other variables the dyno doesn't account for. And if the tuner accounts for them by leaving margins for error in your fuel, timing or boost, it's just a guess. Where as when you're finished with a street tune, you're more or less done.

(lol...until you get on the dyno and want a dyno sheet with higher HP)

Comment

Working...
                                X