No announcement yet.

Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks the insight, dudes. I'm going to build a lil stack up for now, save for another 7 weeks, then buy an automatic by the end of the year with no mods cause it seems like any 240 thats clutch has alot of mileage on the odometer (pushing 200,000), or been swapped with a SR20/KA2DE and may have been reported stolen.

I'm thinking of getting one with an auto trans with low mile and then convert the tranny to a clutch, or go for a manual with no mods, I don't want a premade drift car, I want to learn how to do it myself.

Mileage and mods are my main concerns, no to mention it'd be my first whip, but either way, it'll be a better buy than just any a-b car. And it'll bring me closer to the Hybrid bretheren!

Comment

Saving up more money to a buy a car with less mods is not the best thing to do IMO.

Parts aren't cheap. If you want to learn how to install things yourself, you don't have to necessarily do the work yourself. It's good to want to do it. But if you don't have the funds to, I wouldn't recommend it.

Don't buy an auto if you want a manual. Swapping will cost more when you could have spent the money on the trans swap on something else (body kit, turbo etc.)

Comment

Alright more good advice, that's good to know.

Right now, I'm getting ready for the Formula D weekend, Kira Kaye slipped me a flyer about a party @ the Jimmy Lounge on Friday. Will TH be representing at Long Beach?

Comment

I realized a personal goal today...

I DID IT!! I FINALLY REAKIN' DID IT!!! I GOT MY FC3S MAZDA RX-7!!!!

I Been wanting this for a long time, and now it's finally happened. An 87 FC. She's got 88,000 miles on er and runs pretty smoothly, but there are alot of things that I need to do to it, like change the suspension ASAP! Even though it's got new Michelin tires, the alignment's so bad that it veers right when I let it go. I also want to change the oil, and it's got gas, but I dont know what grade oil or gas it requires.

Besides that, its got no radio, and there's some interior light problems, but other than that, which is alot, it'spretty decent. Gonna change the seats cos theyre old and dutty, but the motor runs fine. Gotta get her smogged too, but this FC smog record is clean, so unless the previous owners poured alchohol in the gas tank, it should be fine. I got my work cut out for me in terms of maintenance, but it will be well worth it when she's restored to it's goodness, by then I'll have to worry about the engine! I'll put a couple pics up later.

Comment

congrats on your car.... but its going to be a headache man

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              congrats on your car.... but its going to be a headache man
              are you saying RX7's are headaches?

Comment

read his description of ALL the problems... THAT is going to be a headache

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  read his description of ALL the problems... THAT is going to be a headache
                  you're a headache

Comment

Touch and go!

LOL, i KNOW, RIGHT? I got my work cut out for in terms of maintenance alone, but the body, mileage, and the engine were in too clean to leave alone even with all the problems.

I was trying to get an S13 or FC3S on craigslist for months, but you know how it goes, the decent rides are already gone when you call or over priced, and the refuse is left behind, so when I saw this one on sale I had to see it with my own eyes, just couldn't let go, and it's working out so far, and I know some people willing to help out wit the interior wiring, so this is my own first real project car.

I'm going to change the oil and inspect the battery, spark plugs and wires, and I deal with the suspension later, probably needs power steering fluid, but I'm thinking about getting a better suspension setup anyway, too bouncy for me.

Comment

I've decided to take her in as a project for school since I want to stick with the automotive program at school so I can become a certified grease monkey.

It's true, my RX-7 did break down on me on account that she needs new clutch cylinders and pivot bearing if not a clutch kit all together, and on top of that the engine needs to be drained of all its old fluids but I know the problem and what to do to get her fixed. I'm in a standard transmission, clutch and driveline class with a new teacher, so I got the approval and all I need to do is get her towed up there so I can start work.

This'll be a good experience since most of the faculty there are a bunch of hip old dudes who were predominantly into classic v6's and 8's, but never gave the rotaries a lot of attention because they aren't a major part of the curriculum, so maybe I can teach somebody something about this car other than then the fact that its not reliable when taken care of.

I'll do the maintenance on her first, then start making her more efficient.

Comment

haha good luck man

Comment

So what have I been up to this past month.....oh yeah there have been problems, but I'm addressing them! Fried the clutch like a goofy, broke down in traf for some time and managed to drive back some how, and ever sincfe the car creeps in 1st gear, so after doin some research I've pin pointed thaat the culprit is a worn pilot bearing between the clutch and engine fusing the two together!

Replacing that, the hydraulic clutch system, already did the master cylinder, but I'm working on her at Pierce since i'm being bugged about working on it at home. Gonna remove the tranny and install a new a new clutch and flywheel. Other than that, she needs her fluids changed cos shes been sitting around prior to me buying her, but got some cool ideas for her in mind. She's work, but problems and al, she's still worth all the trouble, at least for now anyway.

I'll add pics in time though, I'm that freaking busy now!

Comment

Working...
                          X